|1||whole turkey (10 to 25 pounds)|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil, or more if needed|
|1||bunch fresh rosemary, chopped|
|1||bunch fresh thyme, chopped|
|1||bunch fresh oregano, chopped|
Yields – 24 servings Prep Time – 30 m Cook Time –
- Rub the turkey inside and out with the kosher salt. Place the bird in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Place in the refrigerator, and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Thoroughly rinse the turkey, and discard the brine mixture.
- Brush the turkey with 1/2 the melted butter. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan. Stuff the turkey cavity with 1 onion, 1/2 the carrots, 1/2 the celery, 1 sprig of thyme, and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting pan, and cover with the white wine.
- Roast uncovered 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time, and brush with the remaining butter. Allow the bird to stand about 30 minutes before carving.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.